Meat, vegetables, butter, eggs, cheese, nuts, avocados, and fermented foods provide the core of foods for the ketogenic diet.
The Keto Diet requires you to limit food intake, that in total do not exceed 30 grams of carbohydrates per day. This will keep your insulin low and keep you in at least a partial state of ketosis in order to burn fat.
This Keto Food List is not all-inclusive obviously, there is an almost infinite variety of foods that are reasonably low carbohydrate and keto-friendly. Most items are on this list are relatively easy to find and all are acceptable keto food items.
Contrary to popular belief, there is an abundance of deliciously healthy, low carbohydrate food choices available for those that choose the Ketogenic Diet.
I am going to break this keto food list into three groups.
The Gold Standard Group is the cream of the crop foods, immensely healthy and very conducive to good health. The best of the best, but also the most expensive and sometimes harder to find. This is where you will find your organic, free-range, wild-caught, grass-fed keto food products.
The Everyday Group is foods that will likely make up the majority of your Ketogenic Diet. This group is keto-friendly and relatively inexpensive, but not quite as supremely healthy as the Gold Standard group. This category is not necessarily grass-fed, pasture-raised or organic.
The Lazy Keto Diet Food List
Lazy Keto or also known as dirty keto foods are is still low carb, but it includes foods that might not be quite as healthy. This is your least expensive Keto Food list and we all eat from this group from time to time.
When eating out it’s very hard not to eat dirty keto because most restaurants cook with cheap, unhealthy “vegetable” oils. They are not really oil from vegetables.
If you eat too much food from the dirty keto diet food list it could increase oxidation and raise inflammation in the body.
You could offset some of the damage by taking powerful antioxidants, but still, it’s best to avoid lazy keto foods if you can.
Above: Grass-fed beef patty, cheese, onions, tomato slice, avocado, bacon, fried egg, seared jalapeno on a bed of lettuce.
The Keto Diet Gold Standard Food list:
- Wild-caught sockeye salmon, trout, mackerel, herring and sardines
- Beef Liver
- Broccoli and alfalfa sprouts
- Organic, extra virgin, cold-pressed, olive and avocado oil
- Grass-fed beef
- Free-range, cage-free chicken eggs
- Grass-fed, organic, whole milk kefir
- Organic greens: dandelion, mustard, collard, turnip
- Kimchi, natto, sauerkraut
- Fermented Beet Kvass
- Organic asparagus
- Organic Mushrooms
- Cheese: Gouda, Brie, Jarlsberg, EdamOrganic cucumber
- Organic red peppers
- Olives and organic cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil
- Free-range organic chicken legs, wings, and thighs
- Organic golden flaxseed meal
- Gum acacia and inulin (digestive health)
- Organic Chia seeds and hemp hearts
- Grass-fed ghee
- Organic, virgin, cold-pressed, unrefined coconut oil
- Macadamia nuts and walnuts
- Organic, pure, unsweetened, Cocoa powder
- Raw garlic
- Organic Spinach
- Organic kale
- Himalayan Pink salt, pepper, garlic, cinnamon, turmeric, basil, cumin, ginger, parsley
- Organic apple cider vinegar
The Everyday Keto Food List:
- Fish and seafood
- Chicken (legs, thighs, wings)
- Bacon and bacon grease
- Beef tallow
- Keto coffee (Bulletproof)
- Green peppers
- Jalapeno peppers
- Brussels sprouts
- Red onions
- Green beans
- Olives and olive oil
- Coconut oil
- Pecans, brazil nuts
- Cheese (hard)
- Berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries)
- Lemon water
- Zevia (carbonated water, flavored with stevia)
- Bubly (carbonated water, slightly flavored)
The Dirty Keto Food List
- Hot dogs
- Pork rinds
- Soft cheese
- Sliced cheese
- Keto snacks (packaged)
- Cream Cheese
- Fat bombs
- Restaurant or fast food
- Vegetable oil (soybean, cottonseed, sunflower, canola, corn, peanut, sesame, rice bran oil)
- Artificial sweeteners: Aspartame, Sucralose, Splenda, Saccharin, Sorbitol, Xylitol
My keto food go-to recipe
This is one of my favorite everyday Keto Diet recipes. The beauty of this recipe is the versatility. Without a doubt, this is my #1 keto food list recipe.
You can switch out the salmon for almost any other meat.
Pork chops and chicken thighs are an outstanding alternative for the salmon. Also, you can switch out almost any other vegetable for the spinach. Brussel sprouts or broccoli are a good vegetable alternative.
Time needed: 35 minutes.
Salmon and Cream Keto Diet Recipe
- Add 1/4 stick of salted butter in a large frying pan.
Heat and melt the butter, but not hot enough for the butter to start smoking. Sear the salmon in the hot pan, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove the salmon and set aside.
- Add to the frying pan: minced garlic, black pepper, chopped onions (to taste) and a teaspoon of red pepper flakes.
Skip the red pepper flakes if you don’t like it spicy.
- Cut in half, 1 full cup of cherry tomatoes and add the tomatoes to the pan.
- Add ingredients to the pan:
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, 1/2 stick of cream cheese and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese or whatever cheese you have available.
- Simmer for about ten minutes until the cream cheese is melted and then put the Salmon back in the pan.
Put as much spinach in the pan as you can and cook the spinach down. Add more spinach if desired and add additional salt and pepper for taste.
- Simmer for about 10 more minutes until sauce thickens and enjoy.
Caution: This keto diet meal is very rich and it won’t take much for you to feel satisfied, so don’t put too much on your plate. Remember, only eat until you are full.
My other go-to keto diet food is avocado deviled eggs and you can even have them as part of an egg fast if you’re trying to lose weight in a hurry.
There is another keto diet food list that I want to discuss.
This one even exceeds the gold standard list. These foods outlined in this article are considered the ultimate keto superfoods.
I also recommend following the YouTube celebrities Keto Connect for some great keto food recipes.
If you are new to keto be sure and check out this updated keto diet plan for beginners guide.