What are the best ways to prevent the keto flu?
- Ease into the keto diet gradually.
- Eat green leafy vegetables.
- Drink the keto flu tonic daily for the 1st three weeks.
- Salt your food.
- Eat plenty of keto superfoods.
- Initially focus on getting fat adapted.
Table of contents
- What are the best ways to prevent the keto flu?
- Whats the best keto flu cure?
- One of the best ways to prevent the keto flu is to drink a keto flu electrolyte drink or tonic.
- Not everyone that starts the ketogenic diet gets the keto flu.
- Exogenous ketones is also an effective keto flu cure.
- There is a combination of causes of the keto flu:
- When we are consuming a high carbohydrate diet, our body stores lots of glycogen.
- What is the keto flu remedy?
- Cut the carbohydrates slowly.
- The best keto flu cure is to eat more vegetables and salt your food.
- Take extra electrolytes for keto cellular balance.
- Put salt on avocados and eat them for an effective keto flu cure
- Here is a keto flu drink (tonic) remedy.
- To prevent the keto flu focus on getting keto adapted in the beginning
- These supplements are a good keto flu remedy:
- Make improving your digestive health a priority.
Whats the best keto flu cure?
An ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure. But if you really have a bad case of the keto flu, the best cure might be to just up your intake of carbohydrates for a while by eating large quantities of green leafy vegetables and focus on fixing your digestion for a while.
The Keto flu is not really the “flu,” but a combination of metabolic conditions that can make one feel uncomfortable or drained in the beginning phase of a ketogenic diet.
It is due to the adaptation of the body as it is being forced to switch fuel sources from carbohydrates and glucose to fat and ketones.
It is also caused by the flushing of glycogen and electrolytes from muscle cells. There is also the theory that some people have withdrawals due to the elimination of sugar from their diet (sugar addiction).
Difficulty sleeping, body aches, constipation, digestive issues, chills, fatigue, lack of energy, headaches, irritability, lethargy, and lack of focus, nausea, drowsiness, sugar cravings, cramps, brain fog, dizziness, and lightheartedness.
One of the best ways to prevent the keto flu is to drink a keto flu electrolyte drink or tonic.
*Instruction on how to make a Keto Flu electrolyte drink (tonic) listed below.
Not everyone that starts the ketogenic diet gets the keto flu.
The keto flu is definitely one of the hazards of the keto diet, but it can definitely be mitigated.
Exogenous ketones is also an effective keto flu cure.
When you’re feeling down and out your cells might not be getting enough energy. You’re used to using glucose as energy and now since you’re lowering your carbohydrate intake the glucose (blood sugar) isn’t there.
In the perfect world, your body would just seamlessly start breaking down fat into ketones, but that ability has to be “learned”.
That’s what’s called keto-adaptation, but that takes time.
So while your body is adjusting to using ketones as an energy you might feel crappy (keto flu). It can become a powerful keto flu remedy to orally take keto BHB (exogenous ketones) which will almost instantly put you into a state of ketosis.
Be advised however that while you are taking BHB pills or drinks orally, you won’t be burning as much of your own fat. Since you’ll have ketones circulating in your blood your body won’t need to generate any more.
The extra energy from the ketones will definitely reduce the symptoms of the keto flu and give you a needed boost of clean energy without raising blood sugar.
You can read a comprehensive review of keto BHB (exogenous ketones) here.
There is a combination of causes of the keto flu:
Do you get “hangry” between meals? You could be metabolically inflexible.
Metabolic inflexibility is a precursor to type 2 diabetes. Learn how keto can potentially put type 2 diabetes in remission here.
When we are consuming a high carbohydrate diet, our body stores lots of glycogen.
A low glucose environment also means a low insulin environment and remember insulin is the master storage hormone. So we also lose water due to a reduction in insulin levels.
What is the keto flu remedy?
Cut the carbohydrates slowly.
The best keto flu cure is to eat more vegetables and salt your food.
Drink water, add extra salt to your food, and eat green leafy vegetables. World-renowned pro-ketogenic Doctors Phinney and Volek recommend 3-5 grams of sodium per day which averages around 1.5 to 2 teaspoons of salt. Bacon, by the way, has a lot of salt in it.
You might be wondering if fruits are OK to eat on a keto diet? While berries are acceptable in moderation, be careful because the fruit sugar (fructose) can slow down your ability to reach the state of ketosis. Here is a complete explanation of fruits and keto.
Take extra electrolytes for keto cellular balance.
Put salt on avocados and eat them for an effective keto flu cure
Here is a keto flu drink (tonic) remedy.
Time needed: 15 minutes.
How to make keto flu electrolyte tonic:
- Add one cup filtered water
pour in quart sized container
- Add one serving sugar free electrolyte powder
- Add 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar.
- Add one serving magnesium citrate.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of Himalayan pink salt.
- Add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.
- Add 1 squirt of lemon juice
Mix well and refrigerate. Drink as needed for a keto flu remedy.
To prevent the keto flu focus on getting keto adapted in the beginning
MCT oil can help with the fat-adaptation process.
- Avocado deviled eggs
- Olive oil/coconut oil (teaspoon)
- Keto Coffee
- Drink some apple cider vinegar
- Macadamia nuts/walnuts
- Cheese (hard)
- Green/black olives
- Salted slices on avocado
- Pumpkin seeds
- Eat the best keto superfoods
These supplements are a good keto flu remedy:
- Exogenous ketones
- Fish oil capsules
- MCT Oil
- CoEnzyme Q10
- Vitamin E
- Alpha Lipoic Acid
- Creatine and HMB
- Branch chain amino acids
- Salted, keto friendly nuts
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin C
- B Complex vitamins
- Enzymes (lipase and protease)
- Matcha green tea
Make improving your digestive health a priority.
Here is a good source for information to prevent keto constipation.
You might not really need a keto flu cure. The feeling you have might just be part of the keto adaptation process. Stick with it because once you get adapted to the low carbohydrate lifestyle there are health-span advantages that go much deeper than just losing weight.
You must log in to post a comment.